Saturday, July 12, 2008

Review: "The Uncommon Reader" Alan Bennett

My first Handbag Book Club Book. I procured a copy quickly through ReadItSwapIt and took it with me for a day out at the Sanctuary Spa. I was half way through it before I even arrived at the spa, so decided to by another book in the WH Smiths in the station to see me through the day. The bookworm in me was back!

I'd never actually read any Alan Bennett before. I had enjoyed the "Talking Heads" series on television when I was younger though, so assumed that I wouldn't have a problem with his writing (unlike my OH who has taken against him based on the "Cracker under the Sofa" episode).

"The Uncommon Reader" is a very slight book, a novella I believe it is called. I liked the premise. The Queen becomes an avid reader which causes problems for her position as the monarch. However, the book didn't quite go in the direction that I'd imagined. I'd envisaged her getting revolutionary ideas, having her mind opened up to republicanism, feminism and all sorts of other isms that aren't becoming for a Queen.

But, this was Alan Bennett, and he isn't a satirist. Gentle humour is much more his thing. It is more about the joy of reading itself, and it was a great way to re-ignite my love of books. I had a vague plan to try to follow the Queen's reading, but I'm not sure I will pursue this.

I would have been very interested to read a short story by other authors, taking the same starting point and seeing where it goes. I'm thinking someone like Will Self could produce something very different.

No comments: