Saturday, July 12, 2008

"Looks like we've got ourselves a reader"

I hadn't been reading much. Not books anyway. I was reading the free newspapers on my way to and from work, and when the news of the credit crunch and knife crime got too much, I exercised my brain with a sudoku puzzle. But I hadn't finished a book in a long time. I'd started plenty, but lost interest after a page or two. This was a sorry state of affairs for someone with a degree in English Literature.

Then I came across the Book Club thread on a forum I frequent and thought that might be a way to kickstart my reading again. So I joined up, voted and was pleased when the book I'd wanted was the book of the month.

The book was Alan Bennett's "The Uncommon Reader" (more on that later) which I read in an afternoon, and then I was off again, reading like a woman possessed.

Of course, this obsession may not last. I was similarly obsessed with exercise in June, so this may just be July's fixation. I'm hoping it won't be and am, in the modern way, creating a blog to share my reading experience.

No comments: