Tuesday, July 15, 2008

1001 Books to Read Before You Die

I love lists. I love ticking things off lists. And at the moment, I'm loving reading. So I was delighted to hear about the book "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" by Dr Peter Boxall.

I've not seen the book itself, but have found a spreadsheet version of it and it is listed on Lists of Bests, so I've taken great pleasure in ticking off the ones I've read.

It was shockingly few. Especially considering I spent three years at university "doing" literature.

Apparently I've read 92 of the books, just over 9% which means that given my age and gender, if I live to the average age in western society, I will need to read 19 of the remaining books per year to complete the list.

I don't think I'm going to be able to do this. There was books on the list that I really have no interest in reading. But the list does give me some inspiration for other things to read, especially as I'm keen to read some more "classics". So I'm keeping the spreadsheet and the online list going and hope I can mark a few more off. A round 10% would be nice.

No comments: