Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Book Review: "Flowers for Algernon" Daniel Keyes

I'd never even heard of this book until two weeks ago when I saw it mentioned on someone's All Time Favourite list. I liked a few of their other choices so thought I'd give this ago. I bought a copy online for 33p plus postage.

The simple story is about Charlie, a 30-something man with a low IQ but desparate urge to improve himself. He is chosen for experimental surgery to make him more intelligent, a procedure that so far has only been done on animals. The surgery is a success, Charlie becomes a genius, but doesn't gain emotional intelligent to match his knowledge. Then the other successful recepient of the surgery, a mouse called Algernon starts to behave oddly so Charlie sees his fate to come.

It is beautifully written, and incredibly moving. I read it in one train journey and was close to tears by the end.

This was written in the 1960s and was considered a work of Science Fiction, but then in a weird coincidence, I read an article in the Sunday Times magazine about the trend for taking "smart pills", drugs designed for people with ADHD or nacrolepsy that are now being taken by people without these conditions for their brain improving powers. Unfortunately the article wasn't that in-depth (it was in the Style section!) and the pharmaceutical company refused to comment on their use for outside of their original use. But I wonder if anyone is testing the possibilites of using them to make people cleverer?

On a personal note, I've often thought that I'd be happier if I was stupider. Not that I'm a genius, but I do tend to over-think everything and I've wondered if my life would have been easier and happier I was different.

No comments: