Sunday, April 19, 2009

Charity Shop Watch: April 2009

I'd not been on my charity shop run for quite some time, but came back with quite a haul today. I did my bit for heart disease, spending £10 on four books in the British Heart Foundation Shop. The most expensive of the charity shops on my run, they seem to have upped their prices since my last trip, with many books now on sale for £3 a go. But they do have a good selection and the four I bought could easily have been doubled.

I bought:

The Book of Chameleons by Jose Eduardo Agualusa
You Cannont Live as I have Lived and Not End up Like This - The Thoroughly DisgracefullLife and Times of Willie Donaldson by Terence Blacker
The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
The Girls by Lori Lansens

Once more proving that last year's best seller is this year's charity fodder, there were four copies of No Time for Goodbyes in the BHF shop and another one in the YMCA shop. How long before multiple copies of The Suspicions of Mr Whicher start to appear there?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is expensive - my charity shops are all 50p or £1 a book.

I've read 'the girls' and didn't really like it but I thoroughly recommend 'the day of the triffids'. Enjoy!

SandDancer said...

Loved the Triffids. It felt so much more modern than I expected. I thought The Girls was ok, but I expected more to happen.

cogidubnus said...

Day of the Triffids...Now you're talking...I really go for the John Wyndham books...it's ALL good thoughtfully written stuff...you might wish to try "The Kraken Wakes" ... another one with a modern feel...

SandDancer said...

I've since read The Midwich Cuckoos too, which I also enjoyed. I shall look out for the Kraken Wakes. I quite fancy reading Chocky too because I remember a children's television adaptation of it when I was young that terrified me.