Friday, December 5, 2008

Reading around the USA

The map on my Reading Globally post is rather misleading when it comes to the larger countries of the world. I haven't read something set in every region of Russia, India or Canada. The same is true of the USA. I have read a lot of books set in New York and California and not much in between.

Despite my aim to travel the world through reading, it is inevitable that I will still visit the USA, so I've started a map to show my travels through the States.

  • Alaska - Drop City by T C Boyle
  • California - recent reads set here include Post Office by Charles Bukowski, Tortilla Curtain by T C Boyle, The Graduate by Charles Webb
  • Florida - All Families are Psychotic by Douglas Coupland and Darkly Dreaming Dexter books by Jeff Lindsay
  • Maine - the books of Stephen King
  • Maryland - Timbuktu by Paul Auster
  • New Hampshire - Hotel New Hampshire and other books by John Irving
  • New York - lots but recent reads set here include Flowers for Algernon, Naive Super by Erlend Loe, Third Brother and Twelve by Nick McDonell and East Hampton in New York state in My Life at Grey Gardens
  • North Carolina - The Minotaur takes a Cigarette Break by Steven Sherrill
  • Wyoming - in Miss Wyoming by Douglas Coupland
  • Texas - Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
  • Vermont - The Secrety History by Donna Tartt
  • Virginia - Timbuktu by Paul Auster



    create your own personalized map of the USA

No comments: